Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Why People Quit Their Jobs

Last month, I was on my way back to the office after facilitating a training program. I stopped for coffee and overheard the man behind me talking on his cellphone. 

“We need to be stricter with our hiring practices.” he said. “We want to keep them past a year.” 

I could not help myself. I turned around and introduced myself. I told him “I certainly recommend that you take a close look at your hiring practices. But remember, even if you hire the best people, the reason people leave is primarily because of a bad boss. So take an even closer look at the boss." 

But did you know this? 

The Gallup organization polled more 1 million employed U.S. workers and found that the No. 1 reason employees voluntarily leave their jobs is not the company, not the work, but is because of a bad boss. 
Plain and simple: People join good companies, but leave a bad boss. Turnover is less about selection and more about leading effectively. 

In fact, this points to a fundamental question: Are you a Leader or a Boss? 

While both may be “in charge”, a leader guides, teaches by example, and supports people. A boss, on the other hand, likes people working for rather than with and actively reminds them who is at the helm. 

Leaders use “we” when a boss uses “I” and “Let’s do this” as opposed to “Do this.” They inspire by acting with humility rather than ordering, criticizing, or humiliating. 

I love this quote: “If you think you are leading and no one is following, then you’re just taking a walk.” Sometimes a picture tells a better story, so here’s a great graphic that caught my attention making the rounds on social media recently. It sums this idea up so nicely…